YEAR 2011 – AT A GLANCE
You asked -How did my year gone by ?
(1) Compiled and edited An Anthology of the Fraser Valley Writers for the first time – Shabdan Di Sanjh: Kalman Fraser Valley Diyan, Published by Tarlochan Publishers Chandigarh 2011
(2) Proof read and completed the Gurmukhi script of Skeena (300 pages), a novel by Fauzia Rafiq of Surrey
(1) Completed a two-year project of poetry “Colours of My Heart” in English, published by Tarlochan Publishers Chandigarh 2011
(2) Edited, proof read and wrote introductions of Jaswant Kaur Virk’s first book of poetry “Moh DiyNa Tandan”
(1) 28 March : Performed MC and conducted book release function on request by the author Sukhmander Singh Brar for his first poetry book “Hasey Hasey Vich” released by Punjabi Sahit Sabha Abbotsford at Banquet Hall Abbotsford.
(2) 12 April : Present paper/article on Fauzia Rafiq’s first novel Skeena – ‘Skeena: A Woman Beyond Borders‘ released by its Publisher Libros Libertad, 2011 in Surrey
(3) 16 April – My new poetry book “Colours of My Heart” was launched at
- Renaissance Books, New Westminster
- University of Fraser Valley , Abbotsford
- Radio Civl 101.7FM www.civl.ca
- MSA PortPoury Society Abbotsford
- Punjabi Lakhak Munch Vancouver
Performed MC and conducted program to release the following books of the members of Punjabi Sahit Sabha Abbotsford
(1) Shabdan Di Sanjh: Kalman Fraser Valley Diyan– PSSA
(2) “Colours of My Heart” by Surjeet Kalsey
(3) “Mithi Jail” – Songs CD by Gurdev Singh Buttar
(4) “Apna Mool Pachhan” by Hakim Singh
(1) Performed MC and conducted book release program on the request of Surrey writer Harbhajan Singh Manget for his book, released by Punjabi Sahit Sabha Abbotsford
JULY – Wrote and completed an article on Canadian Punjabi Kahani (short stories) for Kahani Conference in California. Also worked on my next poetry book.
AUGUST – August 10 – Review/Article and Introduction Amarjit Shant’s first poetry book “Preet Sunehe”, published in Indo-Canadian Times Surrey
(1) Guest Speaker and Presenter – Read paper on Canadian Punjabi Literature with focused on Women Writers at the Punjabi Writers Annual Conference by North American Punjabi Sahit Academy USA
(2) Participated and launched my poetry book “Colours of My Heart” at Festival of South Asian Literature and Art (FSALA) on 30 Sept-02 Oct. 2011 in Toronto.
(1) 09 October – Performed MC for a book release “Sunehri Yaadan” by Hakumat Singh Nijjar, released by Punjabi Sahit sabha, Abbotsford
(2) 27 October –Guest Speaker and Presenter, Read paper on Canadian Punjabi Poetry and Drama focused on themes at the Indian Writers Festival, at the Asian Studies Department, University of British Columbia.
(1) 18 November – Guest Speaker and Presenter: Presented paper on Violence Against Women in the Indo-Canadian Community at Sahara Support Services Society’s Annual function; donated books – 10 copies of book of short stories “Katha Teri Meri” dedicated to issues of violence against women, and 5 copies of “Colurs of My Heart” poetry.
(2) 26 November –Performed MC on the request of Punjabi Sahit Sabha Abbotsford to conduct their book release function and to read paper.
(1) 04 December – Performed MC on the request of Punjabi Sahit Sabha Abbotsford to conduct their book release function and read paper to introduce Jaswant Kaur Virk’s first poetry book “Moh Diyan Tandan”.
- February – Attended Writer’s Club Chandigarh Function in which they released “Colours of My Hearts” book in Chandigarh
- September : Read Paper on Canadian Punjabi Poetry – focused on Women Writers at the Annual Conference of North American Punjabi Sahit Academy.
- September-October 30 Sept – 02Oct: Attended to participate in the 27th Festival of South Asian Literature and Arts in Toronto – Also launched my new poetry book “Colours of My Heart”.
- November 18 – Guest Speaker and Presenter, Read paper on Violence Against Women in Indo-Canadian Community – at Sahara Support Services Society’s Annual Function
(1) Canadian Punjabi Literature in Translation Apna.org
(2) Review/Article Skeena: A Woman Without Borders, a novel by Fauzia Rafiq, published in Indo-Canadian Times, Surrey.
(3) Article- Rakhi- A Defocused Effort to curb Violence Against Women , published in Indo-Canadian Times
(4) Urdu Shayree – Transliteration (Lipiantar) from Urdu to Gurmukhi poetry of Late Zahid Laeeq’s Urdu poetry, published in Indo-Canadian Times Surrey
(5) Faiz in Gurmukhi – Transliteration (Lipiantar) from Urdu to Gurmukhi of famous Urdu poet Faiz Ahmed Faiz’s poetry published in Punjabi Patrika Abbotsford
(6) Review/Article and Introduction Amarjit Shant’s first poetry book “Preet Sunehe”, 10 August 2011, published in Indo-Canadian Times Surrey
(7) Review and/Article and Introduction of Jaswant Kaur Virk’s first poetry book “Moh Diyan Tandan”, published in Indo-Canadian Times
(8) Review/Article – “Samosa Politics: Sukhinder Di Kalam Katari Ton” of Sukhinder’s poetry book Samosa Politics.
(9) Article –“Pride of Punjabi Journalism: Late Tara Singh Hayer and his Enlightened Heritage“, Indo-Canadian Times, 18 November 2011
(10) Review/Article – Earthen Lamp On A Grave (Marih Da Diva), a Novel by Gurdial Singh, a famous novelist from Punjab, reviewed by Surjeet Kalsey for India’s 50 Great Novels.
(11) Paper/Article – Violence Against Women in Indo-Canadian Community – presented at the Sahara Support Services Society’s Annual Function, 18 Nov.2011.
Apni Awaaz Radio Shows 2011
click www.civl.ca to listen to the special programs:
Total 45 one-hour “Apni Awaaz” shows on Radio CIVL 101.7FM in a year
Special Shows of Apni Awaz program at CIVL Radio broadcast from the University of Fraser Valley studios:
- Skeena- A Woman Beyond Boarders, Ru-b-Ru with author Fauzia Rafique On 16 May 2011 in Apni Awaaz 4:00-5:00PM
- Urdu Poet Faiz Ahmed Faiz’s 100 years of celebration of his Urdu poetry
- Urdu Poet Zahid Laeeq’s 3rd Anniversary – Urdu poetry
- Mahatam Gandhi ji 2 October Gandhi Jayani – In this world of growing violence, war, bombing, only Gandhiji’s message for non-violence can work – non-violence is the only way of life.
- A Legend Jagjit Singh – http://www.civl.ca
- Shabdan di Sanjh: Kalman Fraser Valley Diyan – Ru-b-Ru with Abbotsford new writers from the Fraser valley area.